Welcome Guest, to R. G. Strong Family Genealogy

If you find this website of value to you and wish to help support my research and the update of this site,
you can now make a donation through the PayPal link button. Thank you for your support. RGS
William Adelbert Strong

Catherine Addie Griffiths

Catherine Addie Griffiths

Female 1917 - 1993  (76 years)  Submit Photo / DocumentSubmit Photo / Document

 Set As Default Person    

Personal Information    |    Event Map    |    All

  • Name Catherine Addie Griffiths 
    Born 27 Mar 1917  West Groton,Tompkins,New York,United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Female 
    Buried Oct 1993  Groton,Tompkins,New York,United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Died 9 Oct 1993  Zephyrhills,Pasco,Florida,United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Headstones Submit Headstone Photo Submit Headstone Photo 
    • In 1985, Catherine wrote to her grandson, Andrew:

      " I guess you know that I was born in the Cobb house on Cobb Street, south of West Groton, at the home of my Grandpa and Grandma Townley (my mother's parents).  I will always remember my visits there.  We used to play house in the "dry room."
      This was the large attic and Grandma used to dry the clothes here in the winter.  I used to pick up apples to feed the pigs (Gramp paid me $.05 a pail).  He used to pay me to raise "Ginney Hens," and then he would buy them back from me.  We
      used to pick red raspberries and I was always fascinated with that ____ of paths through the "berry patch."  I used to wash pickles for Grandma to make.  Had to be real careful not to take off the vine end or the pickles would not keep well.
      Also had to get all those little black dots off the pickles bumps.

      Loved to ride to West Groton for groceries in the "buggy" drawn by their road horse (Old Billy).  I usually went to sleep on the way.  Grandma was considered a good horse driver and handler.  She also was an excellent cook.  Gram used to wash
      in the back kitchen, or summer kitchen, which ran the whole length of the west side of the house.  The old wooden washing machine had a plug to let the water out when you were through.  Your Aunt Ellen once pulled the plug, and when Grandma
      went to get it, Ellen threw it the whole length of the room.  As you have guessed, by the time Grandma got it most of the water was on the old wooden floor and had to be mopped up.  She was a pill.  They used to have a collie dog (cow dog) and
      I was afraid of her, even though she would run with me, but I thought she was chasing me.  I will always cherish my life with my Grandpa and Grandma Townley.

      Our first home was the old Townley homestead on Cobb Street Extension - where Ester and Stanley Scheffler later lived.  One thing I can remember here was how Dad would switch us with a twig from the maple trees in front if we played in the
      road.   Of course if we saw him coming with the twig we would run for the house and the shelter of mother (your Grandpa and Grandma Griffiths). Ellen will tell you to this day how mad she was at Dad, because he made her dump her "baby Bad"
      doll and break it.  We used to have a salesman (Mr. Maltbee) who used to come, and sometimes he would stay over night, but when he asked Ellen to ride with him home from school, she wouldn't, as we were taught not to ride with strangers.  He
      felt insulted, but he understood.  Ellen was the only one who went to school in Cobb Street school.

      Memorial Day was always a big day for us.  We would go for the Legion exercises in the Cemetery and then would decorate the graves of all the family.  It was a real thrill.  They always raised the flag, too; the gun salute, etc.  Your Grandpa
      Morris, your Dad and all of us used to cut the grass in the cemetery. Gramp also used to cut grass in the East Lansing Cemetery; your Dad did also.

      After that home, we moved to West Groton where we all lived when we were married, went to school, graduated, went to church, prayer meeting, youth group, etc.  I used to play the piano for all those events.

      Grandpa and I were the first couple to be married after West Groton and East Lansing churches were united.  Reverend Goodrich and Reverend Francis Trimmer both took part in the ceremony.  Charlotte Luce played the piano and Miss Rynders of
      Groton played the violin.  Your Dad's first home was in Peruville, NY.

      We always walked to school and went home for lunch when we went to school in West Groton (where Frank Pierson lives now).  Arbor day was a big day.  We always had a picnic, planted a tree and went to the woods for a walk.  One year, Aunt Ellen
      again fell in with a fur jacket on and was she ever soaked.  Kenneth Clement lived with us one year and he was always doing something like falling in the creek (a common occurrence) as we lived so close.  He was trying to get a flower once to
      give Ellen as he had dumped out her pot of crabs from the creek.  Grandpa and Grandma Townley moved to West Groton in their elder years, and they used to make hot dishes for our hot lunch program at school.  Boy, were those sour cream biscuits
      and chicken and creamed codfish and mashed potatoes good.

      Oh yes, I must also tell you about your Dad and Grandma Townley rocking. Grandma in the chair and Eddie on the wide arm.  They were taking a ride with Old Billy.  Your Dad would also read his books to Grandma.  Everyone thought he could really
      read but he had really memorized them, they had read them so often.  You can see why he became such a reader.  His relationship with all his Grandmas were so fine.  Grandma Griffiths, as did I, taught him a lot of nursery rhymes.  I used to sing
      "Rock a Bye Baby" to him when I rocked him, and when I got to "on the tree top," he would always say "tree top."  He was a real doll, and, oh, so very attractive and cute and smart.  We did these things with all the kids.  I was the one that
      always had to go out and fly kites with them.  [Your] Grandpa Halladay had to help get them down sometimes when it got dark and we were out trying to get them in.  Cousin John Christofferson once caught Eddie's ear with a fishhook.  Getting it
      out was a real experience.  Like Tim, your Dad was always getting hurt. He just tried everything, I guess.  When he was a baby he didn't , but Annette made up for both of them when she came along.  Carl was an ideal baby, always good about
      playing in his playpen.  I guess he knew he had to be good as his mommy had a lot of physical problems when he was a baby.

      We lived in East Lansing when Annette and Carl were born.  Those were war days.  [Your] Grandpa Halladay worked in a defense plant (several, in fact).  Grandpa Carl [Halladay] had passed away, so we had purchased the place where Morris grew up,
      next to the Halladay farm (Jim Wood lives on the farm now).  We had a chicken canning business for awhile.  It was a real experience.  Pressure cooker blew up and put Morris in bed for two weeks with a punctured lung.  I still have a bad arm
      from it all.  Long story and too long to narrate here.  We gave that up and then Morris got a job subbing at the Post Office and finally went to work full time (27 years in all).  He retired and worked for the Grange full time (16 years as
      State Secretary, 4 years State Master, 2 years Executive Committee member, etc.).  All our children were active in Junior Grange.  Helped us install offices, worked in the Grange, youth groups, etc.

      The year Edward graduated from high school (1955), we purchased the farm in West Groton and lived there for about 22 years, coming to Groton in 1977.  Aunt Sarah lived with us 16 years at the farm and cousin Bill Sharpsteen got real acquainted
      with her then.  He used to sit in her rocking chair and watch her TV while she sat on a stool.  Sometimes he was watching when he was supposed to be in bed.  You kids, Andy and Tim especially, had some great experiences at the farm.  like Tim
      driving the car, shooting darts at the new garden hose until a leak was accomplished, running the water over in the lavatory down stairs on the new carpet.  Alan and Kay also ran the water over upstairs, and we had to have a new ceiling.  Our
      state Grange headquarters were in this home for several years before the new State building was built in Cortland.

      I didn't mention that when I was growing up we lived next door to Grandpa John T. and Grandma (Naomi) Griffiths.  We had many tea parties here, always had Christmas with them and Aunt Sarah for years.  Aunt Sarah taught school in Niagara Falls,
      but always came home for holidays.  We usually had Thanksgiving dinner with the Townleys.  I still have the last set of tea dishes that were given to us three girls by Aunt Sarah.  We used to take Aunt Sarah to Ithaca where she used to take the
      Lehigh Valley train back to Niagara.  On the way home we would watch it going up the other side of the lake.  Real thrill for us kids.  In those days things that thrilled us wouldn't be much today.

      Always remember when we were going home from Prayer Meeting one night (we always walked) and we looked around to see a fire.  On investigating, we discovered that Paul Munson had stopped to get gas in his car at Miles Tarbell's gas pump and
      somehow the lantern they were using for light ignited the gas and they jumped and threw gas over the entire car and it burned up.

      One evening us girls decided to go up through the field and surprise Grandma Myra (my mother) when she came home out of the neighbor's house, and we got so excited when saw her that we started to run and I fell down and hit a fast [?] stone and
      dislocated my elbow.  The minister (a lady, Miss Ida Green) and Dad and mom had to take me to Dr. VanMarter.  He relocated my elbow and sent me home in a sling (my first experience with anesthesia).  Dad was milking when it all happened and it
      was dark when it was all over.  I guess he had a hard time finding his pail partly filled with milk.

      We used to have many good times in those days.  Maple sugar parties, church suppers, election dinners, etc.  Our teachers worked on the election board so we always got election day off.  We also used to help Grandma and the neighbors also get
      thrashers, hay press crews, etc. dinner.  In those days they exchanged help and always had dinner where they were working.

      ...Your Dad used to have a 4H garden and  he worked very hard at it and he won some nice prizes.  We sure had a variety that year in the garden. He also raised pheasant chicks for the Rod and Gun Club and chickens also for 4H.  He had poor
      luck with his pets being hit on the road, but he always wanted them anyway.  We had a mother dog "Luckie" who had 8 pups under the barn. What a bunch of mouths to feed.  His black kitten got hit and he saw it. I will never forget him bringing
      it home thinking we could revive it.  He used to not look where he was going, and once he hit a cement post because he was looking behind him. Lucille Snyder came home helping him and bringing a well-bent bike.  He had to sit with hot
      compresses on his leg so he wouldn't get bone infection.  In East Lansing district school the older boys shut him in the boys toilet knowing there were bees in there and he got stung terribly.  We wouldn't have known him when he came home, he
      was so swollen.  Poor little thing.  When he went to Lansing High he was determined to play football and had a try at it.  Never became a star."

      wedding announcement in paper (in scrapbook of Sarah Griffiths now in possession of Andrew Halladay):

      "Miss Griffiths is Bride of Morris Halladay

      A very pretty wedding took place Saturday, Sept. 4, 1937, when Miss Catherine Griffiths, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gwilym Griffiths of West Groton, and Morris Halladay, son of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Halladay of East Lansing were united in marriage by
      the Rev. J.A. Goodrich, pastor of the Congregational Church of Groton, assisted by the Rev. F.W. Trimmer, pastor of the Baptist Church of Groton. The double ring service was used. The ceremony was held in the West Groton church in the presence
      of about 250 relatives and friends.

      The bride was given in marriage by her father. She was attended by her sister, Miss Evelyn Griffiths, as maid of honor, and her sister, Mrs. George Christofferson, as matron of honor. Miss Betty Halladay, sister of the groom acted as
      bridesmaid. Willard Allen was groomsman. The ushers were Edward Hollister of Ithaca and Clarence Benson of East Lansing.

      The bridal party marched down the aisle of the church to the strains of "Lohengrin Wedding March", played by Miss Charlotte Luce on the piano accompanied by Miss Adelaide Ryunders on the violin.

      The altar in front of which the wedding took place was decorated with palms, white hydrangeas and lighted wax candles, making a very pretty setting for the impressive occasion.

      The bride's gown was of eggshell satin. Her long sweeping veil of white tulle was caught up in a cap trimmed with orange blossoms. She carried an arm bouquet of white roses. The maid of honor wore yellow organdy with accessories to match. The
      matron of honor was dressed in blue organdy with yellow accessories and the bridesmaid wore peach organdy with yellow accessories. All carried colonial bouquets.

      The bride's mother wore a sheer dress of navy blue with accessories to match and a corsage of mixed flowers.

      The groom's mother was attired in a dress of DuBonette crepe with matching accessories and a corsage of mixed flowers.

      An informal reception was held in the chapel of the the church to which all were invited. A wedding dinner was served in the church dining room to the bridal party and the immediate families.

      After a short wedding trip, Mr. and Mrs. Halladay will be at home to their friends in Peruville."
    Person ID I7277  Rgstrong Family genes. | Descendants of Walter Halladay, cir 1640, Decendants of William Halladay, 1677/1678-1764
    Last Modified 23 Mar 2006 

    Family Ancestors Morris John Halladay 
    +1. Edward Allen Halladay Married: 2x2x ,   b. 1 Feb 1938, Cortland,Cortland,New York,United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 Sep 1976, Dryden,Tompkins,New York,United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 38 years)  [natural]
    +2. Annette Marie Halladay
    +3. Carl John Halladay Married: 2x2x 
    Last Modified 23 Mar 2006 
    Family ID F2758  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map Click to display
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 27 Mar 1917 - West Groton,Tompkins,New York,United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsChild - Edward Allen Halladay - 1 Feb 1938 - Cortland,Cortland,New York,United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - Oct 1993 - Groton,Tompkins,New York,United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 9 Oct 1993 - Zephyrhills,Pasco,Florida,United States Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend Address Cemetery Farm Town Parish City County/Shire State/Province Country Region Not Set